Friday, December 12, 2008

Myers + Chang



My good-bye lunch could not have gone any better. Great friends, great conversation, and exceptional food made the day one to remember. We even had a nice first snow of the season fall the morning of my lunch.

Recalling the Tasty Menu

a: passed/starters
  • coconut kuri squash soup - this soup was rich and creamy - and much better than I remembered. the drizzle of hot chili oil spiced up everyone's appetites. I don't think all left an empty bowl. I recreated it for dinner the other night and was pleased with my results.
  • tea-smoked pork spare ribs - as awesome as I remembered. The pork pieces were rich, fatty, and fall-apart tender.
  • crispy spring rolls - i didn't think i'd enjoy a spring roll with that many vegetables inside - but true to the menu, each roll was crispy =)

    * b: salads/sides
  • tiger's tears - every single element of this dish was fresh and outstanding! I know there's a recipe for this dish in my new Malaysian cookbook - I'll have to post a bit once my books arrive.
  • edamame and celery slaw - i don't even like celery, but this salad changed my mind. i think the sweetness of the candied lemons did the trick -- and whatever other acid they used in the dressing. this was definitely another table favorite.

    * c: mains
  • wok-roasted mussels - the best mussels I've had EVER. The bowls were piled high with tender, succulent, sweet, lemon-grassy mollusks. I kept finding reasons to sop up more liquid from the mussel bowl.
  • chicken and rapini stir fry - tender and tasty meat and veggies. mmm...
  • beef and broccoli chow fun - i think we were too full to enjoy this dish by the time it arrived at our table.

    * d: drink
  • fountain drink, tea, or coffee - the hot teas came in individual tea pots which was really charming. other late risers had plenty of coffee to start. note - cream served out of a clay vessel that you'd normally associate with a soy sauce server is pretty freaky to look at.

    Cheri and our server were fantastic -- especially since I forgot that one of the guests had a food allergy. Thankfully, she could eat all of the items without any adjustments. Cheri even boxed up one of Joanne Chang's famous throw-down winning Sticky-Sticky Buns for my plane trip home! How nice was that!

    I'd recommend the place for future events and I hope my party guests will continue to explore what the restaurant and bakery have to offer =)
  • No comments: