Friday, February 15, 2008

Chicken Quinoa Soup with Peas and Shallots



The worst thing about being sick and away from home or any significant others is that if you're sick, you're likely in charge of making/buying your own sick food. When I lived in Allston, I was more than happy to pay a delivery fee to get quarts of Zaftig's Chicken Soup egg noodles with matzo ball (plus extra matzo balls) sent to my door. If I were home, my mom would make chicken soup from scratch, or better yet, gingery, scalliony bubur ayam (Malay name of what's commonly referred to in Chinese kitchens as jook/congee or in my-speak "rice porridge with chicken").

In college, I got the nerve to learn to make chicken soup from scratch. I've always wanted to learn to make matzo balls on my own, but alas, this last 'bout of sickness zapped all energy I had to figure 'em out. Instead, I boiled the bones from my roasted chicken and turned the homemade broth into a simple soup of chicken, shallots, frozen peas, and quinoa.

p.s. I made the unfortunate mistake of adding more quinoa before my first 3/4 c. fully cooked. I added another half c. and came back to a pot of quinoa porridge! Hey, even mistakes (or surprises?) can be tasty =)

No comments: