Sunday, December 20, 2009

Luna and Larry: Coconut Bliss Bar



I spotted a new item tag on this box of frozen dessert bars at Whole Foods a couple months ago.

I remembered being partial to Edy's/Dryer's Creamy Coconut Fruit Bars during undergrad, so I was willing to try it. After all, it said it was made with real coconut milk.

It wasn't till I took the box to the office that I read the fine print. I was not really into the touchy-feely branding, but the box looked pretty and I didn't have anything against a good vegan, gluten-free treat now and then... so I bought a box.

These bars are creamy and have a really luscious mouth-feel. Not as creamy as a true super premium dairy-based ice cream, but definitely more than a Rice Dream bar. I immediately wondered if Luna & Larry tasted better than what Art Smith made for the Zoe Deschanel episode of Top Chef Masters.

I liked 'em. They're just lightly sweetened and are pretty satisfying. I'm not entirely a fan of the bits of frozen coconut, but I don't think anything much beats real fresh young coconut or freshly toasted coconut. Perhaps if I were ever to have a restaurant with a Man Vs. Food-worthy spicy food challenge, I'd use Coconut Bliss Bars as the wuss-out relief popsicles.

1 comment:

Kiley said...

Hi! This is Kiley from the Coconut Bliss office, I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed the bars. A box doesn't last more than an hour in the office :)
Have a wonderful holiday season!