Thursday, June 25, 2009

p-burg farmers' market


I made my first trip of the season to the Pittsburg Farmers' Market. For about $7 I walked away with a bunch of kang kong, two delectable white peaches, two ears of corn, and two bitter melons.

The kang kong was my favorite vegetables when I was a kid. Apparently it was one of the foods I remembered from my toddler days in Malaysia. However, I haven't had it in a while, mostly because it never looked as fresh in Massachusetts Asian grocery stores. It was nice to enjoy it stir-fried with a little garlic. My mom also stir-fried the bitter melon with a little chicken, garlic, soy n such. It's funny how I never cared for the stuff until I went to college. Now I craved that bit of bitterness. I was also super-impressed with the white peach. I usually get burned when buying stone fruits at the grocery store, so it was completely refreshing to have a perfectly ripe and juicy peach.


1 comment:

Jeremy C Wilson said...

Yum! I love farmer's markets. Elise and I went to the Santa Monica farmer's market this past weekend. Excellent fruit I must admit. And we loved the free samples. And we love white peaches too.